$1,400.00–$1,750.00 + GST
This 1-day course uses a real-life data set to cover the basics of using Surpac as a geologist, and is highly recommended as a prerequisite for the Surpac Resource Estimation and Evaluation Course.
You will learn about the fundamental concepts of Surpac’s interface, graphics environment, geology database, string files, DTM surfaces, solids modelling (wireframing), block modelling and macros.
These concepts are reinforced through a large number of practical activities, all of which involve using Surpac on a real-life data set. This training course has been drawn from industry best practice as well as more than twenty years of Surpac experience.
- Introduction – course overview, understand key outcomes and your goals
- The Surpac Interface – understanding all of the main components and how to customise them to improve your efficiency
- Surpac Data – how to display,import, export, and convert the most commonly used data types (e.g. strings, DTMs, CSV, other Geological Mining Software)
- Macros – learn how to save time by creating, editing, and running Tcl scripts
- String Editing – learn how to create, and modify strings in graphics and via file tools
- Geology Database – understand database structure, how to create a database, as well as how to import, export, and display data
- DTM Surfaces – learn how to create, view, display, contour, and report volumes
- Solids Modelling – learn how to create, view, display, contour, and report volumes
- Block Modelling – learn basic block model concepts such as sub-blocking, how to create and display a block model, import and export data, and generate grade-tonnage reports
You will learn:
- all components of the Surpac interface, and how to customise them to your needs
- about the structure and use of Surpac’s data types (e.g. string files, DTMs)
- how to use the graphics environment to display, create and modify data
- how to import and export data to other formats
- how to create, view, and report volumes of DTM surfaces and solid models (wireframes)
- how to create contours from DTM surfaces and solid models
- how to create geological databases and block models
- how to import, export, display, and report data in a geology databases and block models
- how to create, modify, and run macros to improve your efficiency using Surpac
Please note: You will need to bring your laptop and Surpac dongle to the the training.
We offer a 5% discount if you register for two or more courses or register more than one person for a single course, OR a 10% discount for AIG and AusIMM members.
AIG/AusIMM member coupon code: AIG-AusIMM – You can enter the coupon code when you view your cart/basket. Your AIG or AusIMM membership must be current for you to use the coupon code.
Payments are made via the SecurePay payment gateway which accepts Visa and Mastercard only. All prices are in Australian Dollars. Training held in Australia incurs GST.
You can add the names of additional attendees at the checkout.
Rowdy Bristol BSc (Construction Engineering), AAS (Land Surveying), MSc (Geological Engineering/Geostatistics), Post Grad Dip Computing
Rowdy is a geologist, engineer, and surveyor with postgraduate qualifications in geostatistics, and computing. Rowdy has more than 20 years’ worldwide experience in the mining industry, and four years’ experience working for a mining consultancy in the United States. Rowdy holds degrees in Geology, Surveying and Engineering, and has worked as a mine geologist, engineer, and surveyor. He has trained geologists, engineers, and surveyors in the use of Surpac Software at underground and open pit mines covering all major commodities. Rowdy’s skills are in resource evaluation, geostatistics, training, mine geology, engineering, and surveying.
Kahan Cervoj BAppSci (Geology), Post Graduate Certificate (Geostatistics), MAusIMM, MGSA
Kahan has, over his 27 year career, worked in underground and open-pit production, all facets of exploration, resource and project development, estimation, and geological management. A geologist with a focus on understanding of geology and using this understanding to guide resource estimation, he has worked in establishing systems and processes and in mentoring teams of people. Kahan’s resource estimation and mining software skills are extensive and cover Datamine, Surpac and other specialised geostatistical software.
The course is designed for geologists who would like to understand the basics of the geological modelling functions using Surpac. If you plan to attend the Surpac Resource Estimation course, but have very little or no prior knowledge of Surpac, this course is for you. You do not need to have any prior experience with Surpac, but you should be familiar with basic mining and geology concepts.
The most useful part of the course: “Pretty much everything!”
“All activities were effective”
“All very good. Very hands on course.” “Well presented!”
“Great mix of theory and hands on training. I really feel like I now have a solid enough grasp to work on the rest myself. Thank you.”
Professional Development Rating
This course has been awarded an 8 PD Hours rating by both the AIG and the AusIMM.
What you need to bring. What we provide.
Please bring your laptop and Surpac dongle to the course. Optiro will provide course reference notes, morning and afternoon refreshments and lunch.
All attendees receive a Certificate of Attendance.
This course is also available as either On-site or On-line training.
Please contact Diana Titren, Training Manager, by email or phone +61 8 9215 0000 for more information.