$5,200.00 – $5,550.00 + GST
This practical 4-day course uses a real-life data set to cover the resource evaluation cycle and its requirements. You will learn the key concepts related to the processes from data collection and quality assurance through to classification. These concepts are reinforced through a large number of practical activities, all of which involve using Surpac on a real-life data set. This course has been drawn from industry best practice and twenty years of estimation experience with Surpac.
- Introduction – flow of tasks, key Surpac concepts
- Data quality – using Surpac to perform validation checks on input data
- Geology and Domaining – geology of a real-life data set, basic wireframing techniques and validation, assigning domain codes to drillholes
- Data preparation – compositing within domains, validating composites
- Statistics – understanding and reporting statistical parameters, topcutting
- Continuity – understanding and modelling variograms, using variogram maps to develop anisotropy ellipsoid parameters
- Estimation – understanding different techniques, using Surpac to perform estimates, optimising estimation metrics (e.g. block size, number of samples)
- Validation – using Surpac to validate a model against input data
- Post-processing – understanding change of support and recoverable resources
- Classification and reporting – understanding the Codes, using Surpac to assess and assign classification categories
- Risk and uncertainty – understanding the basics of simulation, and when it is useful
- Reconciliation – using Surpac to validate a resource model against grade control data
During the course you will:
- Understand the workflow required to create, validate, and classify a resource in Surpac
- Learn how to use Surpac to create and validate geological domains
- Understand how to create composites from raw sample data in Surpac within a domain
- Learn how to report and analyse statistical properties of a data set with Surpac
- Use Surpac to identify and perform topcuts
- Understand how to use Surpac’s variogram maps to define anisotropy ellipsoid parameters
- Use Surpac to perform several different types of estimations
- Learn the many ways to validate a resource model using Surpac
- Appreciate the key criteria for resource classification, and how to use Surpac to assign resource categories
You will need to bring your laptop and Surpac dongle to the training.
We offer a 5% discount if you register for two or more courses or register more than one person for a single course, OR a 10% discount for AIG and AusIMM members.
AIG/AusIMM member coupon code: AIG-AusIMM – You can enter the coupon code when you view your cart/basket. Your AIG or AusIMM membership must be current for you to use the coupon code.
Payments are made via the SecurePay payment gateway which accepts Visa and Mastercard only. All prices are in Australian Dollars. Training held in Australia incurs GST.
You can add the names of additional attendees at the checkout.
Rowdy Bristol BSc (Construction Engineering), AAS (Land Surveying), MSc (Geological Engineering/Geostatistics), Post Grad Dip Computing
Rowdy is a geologist, engineer, and surveyor with postgraduate qualifications in geostatistics, and computing. Rowdy has more than 20 years’ worldwide experience in the mining industry, and four years’ experience working for a mining consultancy in the United States. Rowdy holds degrees in Geology, Surveying and Engineering, and has worked as a mine geologist, engineer, and surveyor. He has trained geologists, engineers, and surveyors in the use of Surpac Software at underground and open pit mines covering all major commodities. Rowdy’s skills are in resource evaluation, geostatistics, training, mine geology, engineering, and surveying.
Kahan Cervoj BAppSci (Geology), Post Graduate Certificate (Geostatistics), MAusIMM, MGSA
Kahan has, over his 27 year career, worked in underground and open-pit production, all facets of exploration, resource and project development, estimation, and geological management. A geologist with a focus on understanding of geology and using this understanding to guide resource estimation, he has worked in establishing systems and processes and in mentoring teams of people. His resource estimation and mining software skills are extensive and cover Datamine, Surpac and other specialised geostatistical software.
The course is designed for geologists and mining engineers involved in resource estimation and evaluation using Surpac. We assume that you will be familiar with basic mathematical concepts, and you will have a basic understanding of Surpac databases, wireframing, block modelling, and macros. If you are unfamiliar with any of these areas, we highly recommend you attend the 1-day “Surpac Geology Fundamentals” course offered the day before this course starts. You do not need to know any geostatistics or matrix algebra!
Free OREpack Modules
Optiro has developed add-on modules that will improve your efficiency and offer functionality beyond Surpac’s normal functionality. Attendees will receive a FREE copy of the OREpack Declus Optimiser, and a 30 day FREE trial of any one of these OREpack modules for Surpac: Kriging Neighbourhood Analysis; Localised Uniform Conditioning; Drillhole Spacing Optimiser; Estimation Manager.
What you need to bring. What we provide.
Please bring your laptop and Surpac dongle to the course. Optiro will provide course reference notes, morning and afternoon refreshments and lunch.
All attendees receive a Certificate of Attendance.
This course is also available as either On-site or On-line training.