$6,250.00 – $6,600.00 + GST
Live, interactive Online training:
This 5-day course uses a real-life data set to cover the entire resource estimation and evaluation cycle and its requirements – from data collection and quality assurance through to classification.
These concepts are reinforced through a large number of practical activities, all of which focus around the same real-life data set. This training course has been drawn from industry best practice and almost thirty years of estimation experience.
The final day of the course consolidates all that you have learned by taking you step-by-step through a check-list of the resource estimation and evaluation processes, and also gives you the opportunity to bring your own data along to discuss and get advice on.
- Introduction – flow of tasks, key concepts
- Data quality – QAQC, sampling, database
- Geology – geology and resource evaluation
- Domaining and data preparation – how, why, boundaries, coding, compositing
- Statistics – central tendency, variability, good and bad data sets, declustering, cutting
- Continuity – grade continuity, modelling variograms, moving from the variogram to the estimate
- Estimation – principles, 2D/3D, polygons to kriging, how kriging works, validation
- Post-processing – why, the change of support, recoverable resources
- Classification and reporting – understanding the Codes, types of report
- Risk and uncertainty – one estimate or many, why simulation?
Course outcomes – you will:
- Understand what affects a good and a bad estimate
- Appreciate the paramount value of data and how to ensure its highest quality
- Understand and apply the principles of sampling and QAQC for quality assurance
- Know how to turn a first class geological model into correct zones for estimation
- Learn how to validate zones and their boundaries against the data and geology
- Understand the critical role of geological and grade continuity
- Cover the key geostatistical methods of grade estimation and compare these with other approaches
- Know what to do when you don’t have enough data
- Understand the many ways to validate your work and which are the best
- Appreciate the key criteria for resource classification
Please see below for more details on the course content.
We offer a 5% discount if you register for two or more courses or register more than one person for a single course, OR a 10% discount for AIG and AusIMM members.
AIG/AusIMM member coupon code: AIG-AusIMM – You can enter the coupon code when you view your cart/basket. Your AIG or AusIMM membership must be current for you to use the coupon code.
Payments are made via the SecurePay payment gateway which accepts Visa and Mastercard only. All prices are in Australian Dollars. Training held in Australia incurs GST.
You can add the names of additional attendees at the checkout.
Ian Glacken BSc (Hons), MSc (Min. Geol), MSc (Geostatistics), FAusIMM(CP), CEng, FAIG
Ian is a geologist with postgraduate qualifications in geostatistics, mining geology and computing who has more than 35 years’ worldwide experience in the mining industry. He has worked on mineral projects and given training courses to thousands of attendees on every continent apart from Antarctica! Ian’s skills are in resource evaluation and due diligence reviews, public reporting, training and mentoring, quantitative risk assessment, strategic advice, geostatistics, reconciliation, project management, statutory and competent persons’ reporting and mining geology studies. Ian has a strong mining production background and is a regular auditor for the world’s largest mining companies.
Paul Blackney BSc (Hons), MAusIMM, MAIG
Paul is a geologist with more than 35 years’ technical and operational experience. His skills include resource evaluation, technical audits and reviews, geostatistics, reconciliation, grade control, competent persons reporting and project management. Paul provides worldwide technical training and mentoring in resource estimation, quality control and quality assurance, reconciliation and application of the JORC Code and is highly respected for his focus on the transfer of his knowledge to other geologists.
Rowdy Bristol BSc (Construction Engineering), AAS (Land Surveying), MSc (Geological Engineering/Geostatistics), Post Grad Dip Computing
Rowdy is a geologist, engineer, and surveyor with postgraduate qualifications in geostatistics, and computing. Rowdy has more than 21 years’ worldwide experience in the mining industry, and four years’ experience working for a mining consultancy in the United States. Rowdy holds degrees in Geology, Surveying and Engineering, and has worked as a mine geologist, engineer, and surveyor. He has trained geologists, engineers, and surveyors in the use of Surpac Software at underground and open pit mines covering all major commodities. Rowdy’s skills are in resource evaluation, geostatistics, training, mine geology, engineering, and surveying.
Kahan Cervoj BAppSci (Geology), Post Graduate Certificate (Geostatistics), MAusIMM, MGSA
Kahan has, over his 26 year career, worked in underground and open-pit production, all facets of exploration, resource and project development, estimation, and geological management. A geologist with a focus on understanding of geology and using this understanding to guide resource estimation, he has worked in establishing systems and processes and in mentoring teams of people. His resource estimation and mining software skills are extensive and cover Datamine, Surpac and other specialised geostatistical software.
The course is designed for geologists and mining engineers involved in resource estimation and evaluation. We assume a reasonable knowledge of geology and familiarity with mathematical concepts, but you do not need to know any geostatistics or matrix algebra!
“Thanks again for the course, I learnt so much. I am already applying what I learnt and feel so much more capable.”
“The course was really useful” “This was an excellent info and refresher on resource evaluation”
“The course was presented in an easy straightforward manner” “The first course where I wasn’t lost on Day 1!”
“Good structured explanation of core topics – particularly grade continuity and linear estimation”
“Very informative course, well presented – thumbs up”
“I really enjoyed having this course with Optiro – I’m looking forward to attending more courses in the near future.”
Professional Development Rating
This course has been awarded a 40 PD Hours rating by both AIG and the AusIMM.
You will need to bring your laptop with Microsoft Office loaded onto it for the training days.
Optiro will provide you with the course reference manual, pad, pen, refreshments and light lunches.
This course is also available as either On-site or On-line training.