$1,400.00 – $1,750.00 + GST
This practical 1-day course will show you: how to plan your document; write summaries and conclusions; the essential grammar rules; styles and formatting; key features and time-saving tips in Word; how to review your document and how to review others’ documents; how to write references, abbreviations, acronyms, glossaries and appendixes; and how to achieve your objective of grabbing your readers’ attention.
- Introduction – often the report outlasts the data… this is your legacy!
- Types of reports – common failings in reports
- Planning the document
- Document structure and report style – purpose of the report – defining your audience
- Summary – introduction – data – method – detail
- Conclusions – recommendations – appendices
- Section numbering – tables – figures – diagrams – flowcharts – company standards
- Essential rules of grammar
- Style and formatting essentials
- Reviewing your report and others’ reports
- References – abbreviations – acronyms – glossaries
- The golden rules!
- Gain an understanding of the key grammar rules
- Find out what makes reports readable (and what doesn’t!)
- Appreciate the need to write for your audience
- Learn the best way to approach writing a large report
- Get the chance to review and correct examples of ‘how not to do it’
- Understand how to make reports more direct and readable, thus increasing their impact
- Discover the best ways to present tabular and graphical information
- Find out about references, footnotes, headers and footers, and links
Please see below for more details about the course and presenters.
We offer a 5% discount if you register for two or more courses or register more than one person for a single course, OR a 10% discount for AIG and AusIMM members.
AIG/AusIMM member coupon code: AIG-AusIMM – You can enter the coupon code when you view your cart/basket. Your AIG or AusIMM membership must be current for you to use the coupon code.
Payments are made via the SecurePay payment gateway which accepts Visa and Mastercard only. All prices are in Australian Dollars. Training held in Australia incurs GST.
You can add the names of additional attendees at the checkout.
Ian Glacken BSc (Hons), MSc (Min. Geol), MSc (Geostatistics), FAusIMM(CP), CEng
Ian is a geologist with postgraduate qualifications in geostatistics, mining geology and computing who has more than 35 years’ worldwide experience in the mining industry. He has worked on mineral projects and given training courses to thousands of attendees on every continent apart from Antarctica. Ian’s skills are in resource evaluation and due diligence reviews, public reporting, training and mentoring, quantitative risk assessment, strategic advice, geostatistics, reconciliation, project management, statutory and competent persons’ reporting and mining geology studies. Ian has a strong mining production background and is a regular auditor for the world’s largest mining companies.
The course is designed for geologists and mining engineers involved in the writing of technical reports. This course has been specifically designed for those writing: monthly reports; descriptions of exploration activities; monthly QAQC reports; drilling campaign reports; proposals for drilling; application for expenditure; resource estimation reports; market releases; requests to hire staff; safety incident reports; descriptions of mine plan or schedule; financial reports; annual production and operation report sections.
“Checking a badly written report was most effective from a learning viewpoint”
“Informative course – well presented”
“Very thorough course!”
“I found the summary, findings and identifying the audience sections most useful”
“Everything in the course was explained very well – it was a great course and not too dry considering the topic!”
“Very informative – Ian was easy to engage with and very professional.”
What you need to bring. What we provide.
Please bring your laptop to the course with Microsoft Office installed.
Optiro will provide course reference notes, morning and afternoon refreshments and lunch.
All attendees receive a Certificate of Attendance.
Professional Development Rating
This course has been awarded an 8 PD Hours rating by both AIG and the AusIMM.
This course is also available as either On-site or On-line training.
Please contact Diana Titren, Training Manager, by email or phone +61 8 9215 0000 for more information.