$1,400.00 – $1,750.00 + GST
This 1-day course provides a compendium of Excel tips, tricks, tools and templates specifically designed for mine and exploration geologists.
We draw from many years of experience, having learned the hard way, to provide you with the key Excel techniques to really save you time and effort.
You will learn how to present data graphically to best advantage, how to use pivot tables, navigation, sorting and advanced filtering techniques to get valuable information out of massive data sets and how to generate key graphs (such as Q-Q plots).
The outcome will be that you are aware of and able to use a whole range of labour-saving tools to present messages more clearly and to derive meaningful information from data.
We provide each attendee with a toolbox of spreadsheets guaranteed to enhance productivity.
- Overview of the basics of Excel and revision of the fundamentals
- What you as a geologist, need Excel to do for you
- Navigation keys and shortcuts; filtering and processing large data sets
- Presenting your data – tips, tricks, what works visually, what doesn’t
- Reporting and reconciliation applications
- QAQC examples
- Key skills in Excel; named ranges, lookup tables; pivot tables
- How to present data in Excel for passing on and work by others
- Forum – what are your key requirements for Excel?
- A toolbox of templates and functions
Course outcomes – you will:
- Receive a refresher on basic Excel skills and fundamentals
- Learn or revise a host of time-saving tips and short-cut keys for navigation, data manipulation and formulae
- Appreciate the best ways and tools for presenting your data in charts and graphs
- Discover the best ways to filter and manipulate large data sets
- Learn the best ways and tools for tonnage-grade reporting and reconciliation
- Take away a toolbox of time-saving templates and functions
Please see below for more course content.
We offer a 5% discount if you register for two or more courses or register more than one person for a single course, OR a 10% discount for AIG and AusIMM members.
AIG/AusIMM member coupon code: AIG-AusIMM – You can enter the coupon code when you view your cart/basket. Your AIG or AusIMM membership must be current for you to use the coupon code.
Payments are made via the SecurePay payment gateway which accepts Visa and Mastercard only. All prices are in Australian Dollars. Training held in Australia incurs GST.
You can add the names of additional attendees at the checkout.
Rowdy Bristol BSc (Construction Engineering), AAS (Land Surveying), MSc (Geological Engineering/Geostatistics), Post Grad Dip Computing
Rowdy is a geologist, engineer, and surveyor with postgraduate qualifications in geostatistics, and computing. Rowdy has more than 20 years’ worldwide experience in the mining industry, including four years’ experience working for a mining consultancy in the United States. Rowdy holds degrees in Geology, Surveying and Engineering, and has worked as a mine geologist, engineer, and surveyor. He has trained geologists, engineers, and surveyors in the use of Surpac Software at underground and open pit mines covering all major commodities. Rowdy’s skills are in resource evaluation, geostatistics, training, mine geology, engineering, and surveying.
Paul Blackney BSc (Hons), MAusIMM, MAIG
Paul Blackney is a geologist with more than 30 years’ technical and operational experience. His skills include resource evaluation, technical audits and reviews, geostatistics, reconciliation, grade control, competent persons reporting and project management. Paul provides worldwide technical training and mentoring in resource estimation, quality control and quality assurance, reconciliation and application of the JORC Code and is highly respected for his focus on the transfer of his knowledge to other geologists.
The course is designed for exploration, mining database and resource geologists who would like to enhance their Excel skills and gain exposure to a toolbox of productivity enhancements. Some very basic familiarity with Excel is required but no advanced knowledge or programming skills are needed. The course is designed to be practical so that you will learn by doing.
“Great job – learned lots! Thanks!”
“Well done course – covered all important aspects of Excel.”
“The course was very useful and helpful, and provided a good balance of theory, practical, basic and expert knowledge.”
Professional Development Rating
This course has been awarded an 8 PD Hours rating from both AIG and the AusIMM.
What you need to bring. What we provide.
Please bring your laptop to the course with Microsoft Office installed. Optiro will provide course reference notes, morning and afternoon refreshments and lunch.
All attendees receive a Certificate of Attendance.
This course is also available as either On-site or On-line training.