Andrew Grubb – Director – Mining Engineering
BEng (Mining) (SAIT), Grad. Cert. Management (Monash Mt Eliza), FAusIMM
Andrew is a mining engineer with more than 35 years of experience in the West Australian and international mining industry, including 10 years as operating/technical superintendent, 10 years as operations/general manager and 15 months at Managing Director level.
Andrew’s areas of responsibility and direct involvement have included grassroots exploration; minesite establishment and commissioning; open cut and underground mining; operation and maintenance of medium and large scale ore processing operations; industrial relations; contractor control; occupational health and safety; environmental control and planning; minesite, general and corporate management.
Andrew’s specialist skills are in operational optimisation, mentoring individuals and teams and corporate/transaction services including due diligence and ore reserve audits.
Andrew’s significant achievements include:
- Foundation CEO/COO/Chairman of Management Committee for Zoloto Taigi: 50/50 strategic alliance between Polymetal and AngloGold Ashanti (2007-2008). Progressed gold exploration and project evaluation in Russian Federation despite a difficult and changing legislative regime.
- Technical reviewer of Mining Engineering of various Feasibility Study updates for Boddington Gold Mine (1999-2006). Final approval of 35Mtpa/$2,000M project was gained in February 2006.
- Project Manager of tendering/evaluation process for 5-year mining contract for Sunrise Dam Gold Mine, AngloGold Australia Limited. Contract value approx. $340M.
- Successful restructuring and financial rescue of Gullewa Gold NL after its premature and unsuccessful move into production.
- Track record of improving work safety outcomes through establishment of safe working procedures and training. Early champion of workplace drug and alcohol screening and establishing mine rescue capabilities for remote mine sites.
- Successful move through construction, commissioning and operational management of the Marymia Gold Project: a Fly-in/Fly-out operation often used as a model for others.
- Successful management of low-grade gold open pit, small scale underground and ore processing operations in Western Australia.
- Development of the $65 million Beneficiation Plant at Newman into a credible producer of quality iron ore.
- Development of the initial grade control and ore mining technique at Telfer Gold Project which was utilised for mining of the 30⁰ inclined ore zones at Telfer.